Search This Blog

Body Alteration part one.

A week later.
With the wooden blocks screwed in place i could gauge the profile that i needed to make to fit this section onto the chassis. Several trial fits of the tub onto the chassis had been made to check that the tub fitted evenly on the chassis base.

I made cardboard templates of the profile that could be used to check the height of the build up of fibreglass. I intended to use a vernier type gauge to ensure that the build up of fibreglass matched the distances that I could measure on the cardboard profile this giving me an accurate indicator. The reason for this process was that laying down fibreglass over a large area meant that long lengths of fibreglass sheeting needed and the wooden blocks had to be removed before any fibreglass could be laid.

The wooden blocks were removed and the surface was cleaned up with the 160 grit sanding angle grinder disk. After final preparation with the cellulose thinners. I was able to start fibre glassing. It was soon clear that my guess at the amount of fibreglass was sadly under estimated.

A week later and with Ben now turning up regularly to help with mixing of resin material the transom was building up slowly. I had not anticipated that the fibre glassing would over spill the area. This amazingly was a helpful thing, it gave strength to the new material as it was talking on the contour of the body work and by encroaching forward past the transom it meant I could cut back the material to provide a clean profile in the inside of the tub. The benefit of this was that I could ensure the integrity of the fibre glassing was good. The picture on the right shows the material cut back. I found that an angle grinder was the only way the material could be cut it was amazingly hard. I estimated the amount of fibreglass used at £300.00 which meant in reality buying a second hand shell was more expensive to build as a restoration than buying a new one. This was not something that did not bother me as by then I had found out that FibreFab had stopped making the SWB Rat and where no longer in the United Kingdom in Wokingham. I was restoring a classic beach buggy that there were few examples off left running. Additionally I drew energy from my fathers illness I now had a mission: " To take my father for a ride in the car that we started building together more than 20 years previously".

No comments:

Post a Comment