Search This Blog

Side Impact Bars - part two

28th August 2007

After taking some time to think through the position and placement of my newly acquired tubing. i set to and started of by rounding off the flattened end , which had hard right angle corners. This then allowed the bar to be placed in position to check its position in the car.

I drilled a hole to allow the Roll Bar hoop lugs to take a M12 bolt through the lug and through the new bar (pictured left).

Three of the perimeter bolts where then removed nearest the front of the car so that I could place the position of the bar in its actual position. I noticed that the cut on the bottom of the tube was not allowing the bar to sit squarely on it. I marked this with chalk. The bar was removed and i used an angle grinder to re cut the angle.

I drilled the holes in the bottom plate to allow the perimeter bolts to be passed back through. This stopped the plate from sliding about . I used a piece of wood to push the tube into position on the plate. I would have to tack weld it in position. I was not sure how to best protect the fibreglass whilst this was done so decided it would be best to make up the other side and weld them both at the same time. Unfortunately It was dark and nighttime again upon me so I had to leave the welding and fitting of the other side to another day ...

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment