Search This Blog

Turbo Exhaust inlet manifold - part one

30th Nov 2007.
This was the first attempt , the second was no nearer. It was time to change the company i was using to make it. Stainless is obviously slippery to weld.

After getting a few quotes for the fabrication of this item I unfortunately went with the company that I thought would be the best and not based on cost of the manifold being made. This unfortunately was to be not a good idea as for the first time I had had something fabricated externally the company produced a piece of work which was unsatisfactory and not of good workmanship. As you can see from the picture the manifold was not vertical with the garret manifold not horizontal either. The second attempt when returning the manifold to the fist company produced not much better results. The manifold still placed the Garret about 20-25 degrees out and the horizontal measurement of the top of the garret flange did not read on my gauge. The Triangular flange had been skewed when it was welded to the pipe and was not horizontal with the tube. The finish was still no better.

Fortunately I am in the lucky position of having another company nearby Philcox's of Catsfield. Look them up on yell.co.uk, I am sure you'll be happy. They where more than happy to take the flange of from the inlet manifold and fabricate a new one that was going to be welded properly to the tubing. They also offered solution for the missing studs in the turbo flange they offered to weld in 10mm studs. I would need to return to pick up the manifold in two pieces to mark the upright position of the top flange.

I asked if I could have the triangular manifold cut of having to have it shortened by an inch and the 10mm studs inserted. When I asked if they would keep the old flange for me. I was asked if I wanted it for sentimental reasons, I said no , he asked if I was going to send it to the first company as a memento or a Christmas present. I conceded that it would make a novel Christmas present as a desk pen holder, LOL .

No comments:

Post a Comment