Search This Blog

Choosing a dash board layout

21st July. 2005
I started to do up the buggies dashboard by stripping the multiple layers of paint from it with wet and dry silicon carbide paper. The process was lengthy but the result was good and I was soon able to have a nice finish on it to start designing my new layout. There where already several holes that had been cut into the dashboard principally for one dial a steering column and another curious hole that was unknown. I started by grinding out the holes so as to get a good key for my new fibre glass to get a grip onto. The result was good and i started to fill up the holes and fill in from the back. The fibreglass was then sanded down to a fine finish.

I came up with five designs for the layout of the new dash boards dials and submitted them on a forum on http://www.beachbuggy.org.uk This was especially useful as the whole buggy group helped and gave comment. The options where as below:
Choice A though to Choice B.
Choice C The MOST VOTED, through to Choice D

Choice E.


The most voted choice from these was layout C which scored the highest number of votes. I had made the layouts to fit around six gauges 4 x 40mm sensors : Fuel Tank;Pressure, Volts; Temperature, The two 80mm gauges where a speedometer and rev counter. These where all VDO and came from the the Classic range.

I bought two Starrett hole cutters and an arbour which they fitted from Travis Perkins in Cranbrook , these worked out to be quite cheep at around £14 for the smaller ones and around £19 for the larger. I marked the position of the dials according to my template and cut the holes. The Starret hole cutters where wonderful. I had previously used them to cut the hole for the petrol filler so new they cut beautifully. The new holes look great.

I had decided much earlier that I wanted a stereo and as I knew I would have to build an area for this I thought it would be a good idea to build an area to take the hazard light and light switch at the same time. The finished dash board although it was in need of a respray looked great. I was so pleased with it and just had to add some indicator bulbs for high beam; indicators and alternator and it was finished.

I was now looking forward to rubbing down the paint work on the tub and cleaning up the bottom painting it with a fresh gel coat.

I would be doing this next and had been out to buy new supplies to start the next day with.




No comments:

Post a Comment