Search This Blog

Cobra or OMP Seats

One Day later.
I found what I thought where Cobra 4x4 seats on eBay. They where located in the basement of a shop in London as they had been used once for a display. They turned out to be OMP seats , which where Italian in origin and very similar to the Cobra ones. The mounts where slightly different as they bottom mounted. I arranged to go up and get them and brought them back. I decided to try to convert the existing seat mounts by getting hold of two seats and converting the seats into seat sub frames. The process involved trying to brace the runners so that they where parallel and would not move the seat structure could then be cut away with an angle grinder and a rigid frame could then be welded onto the runners to allow the seat to be mounted.

I had made one up showing my friend Ben the process he set about using the angle grinder and the welder for the first time. He did a fabulous job pictured right.

The process seemed simple enough to do but initial testing showed that the seats that we purchased could not have fitted as after the process the bars where to tight to work or be usable. Both seat runners one made by me and one by Ben did not fit it was obvious that I needed to buy the OMP runners that matched the seats and cut the old runners out of the chassis.

No comments:

Post a Comment