Search This Blog

Building A Compressor, My Clark Pioneer 100+ SIP HobbyAir 210

3rd March 2007My Clark Pioneer 100 compressor that I was kindly given by a friend as it did not work was only capable of 3.5cpf displacement as it ran at .6hp, this means that it would only run small air tools and the LVLP newer guns at 8Bar .

I had a SIP HobbyAir 210 1.5Hp compressor without a tank that was capable of 7.5 cfm output that I felt would give the compressor more power and would hopefully power the HVLP guns on the market as well.

I decided that I could mate the two compressors and started by removing the plastic cover of the SIP HobbyAir. This was easier said than done as the bolts holding on the cover where recessed into the plastic so far that I needed a box spanner to reach in far enough to get them undone. Eventually I found a suitable box spanner in one of my toolboxes and got the plastic lid off. The HobbyAir was similar in construction to the Clark model but a lot smaller and lighter. I presume this was due to the HobbyAir being newer. I removed the Clark compressor motor by undoing the housing bolts and then the air and power lines that can be accessed under the switch panel.

It looked as if the Hobby Air would fit in the cradle of the Pioneer base. It would not line up with the bolt holes but I soon created some new bolting positions and started to work on the wiring.

I figured it was best to marry up the wiring in such away that if the Hobby Air compressor would not work with the Clark tank that I could easily put the Clark compressor motor back on and rebuild the HobbyAir to get me back to what I started with.

The wiring was pretty easy and I managed to bend the air pipe so that it reached the output from the Hobby Air.

The pump power up.

The capacitor on this model was CBB60 a 25 uf EN600252-1 starter cap


I was hopefully now in the possession of a 7.5cm 8bar compressor. I could not run a long test as my 4 month old daughter was in bed. I would find out if my creation lived another day.

I would have to make a new cover for the compressor engine and fan another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment