Search This Blog

Engine Woes and a new start

29th Feb 2008

After gathering up my IRS components I was happy to start rebuilding them . I had also located a 1300s gearbox that I was going to pick up to install into the buggy. Whilst I was rebuilding the IRS components and after several visits to the garage, I noticed that the little bakerlight pedestal that sat under the fuel pump had the corner broken off it. I knew this was going to be a nightmare. I removed the fuel pump and tried to pull out the pedestal. The top snapped off! leaving the bottom half of the pedestal lodged inside the engine. Fortunately I had seen a thread on www.volkszone.com, where it was possible to extract the remains of the pedestal with a raw plug and screw. I found a suitable screw and raw plug in my hardware store. This seemed to release the remnants and I was able to pull out a section on the raw plug. Unfortunately this let the first 1/2" of the pedestal fall in to the engine sump.

This was a disaster as I knew this meant the engine would need to be removed separated and rebuilt so that the offending bakerlight pedestal could be removed.

Fortunately removing the engine was on my list of jobs to fit the IRS so I new It would have to come out for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment