Search This Blog

Engine removal

1st March 2008
It was a sunny day and I had started the afternoon by removing the distributor drive shaft and the alternator and pedestal to see if there was any way I could see into the engine and spot the pump debris. This was soon written off as a bad idea as the access was restricted.

I started removing the wiring to the coil , the distributor and the alternator. I removed the fuel line and started on the three nuts and one bolt that held on the engine. These came undone fairly easily and with the help of a good friend and a jack was able to get the engine out and onto the floor. We moved the engine to the side of the garage and I took look at the transmission.

The first observation's showed that where I had rebuilt the battery compartment and the tyre well the new IRS components would hit the underside of the body, this was annoying as it was obvious that the body work was probably fitted to an IRS chassis before my changes. I would have to cut the body work back to allow room for the new A-Arms to rise up to the bump stops. I also noticed that my alternator B+ line had scorch mark in it and it looked like it had been sitting on the exhaust.

I would have to put axle stands under the rear frame horns and jack up the rear of the car to raise the rear wheels of the ground. This would allow me access to the gearbox and allow me to remove the rear wheels and gearbox assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment