Search This Blog

MOT SAGA retest

8th April 2009
My MOT re-test had been rebooked for 1:30pm on 7th April 009. The buggy seemed to be a lot better on the road and I had had a friend have a look at the vehicle with me on the weekend so had been fairly confident. I watched as the Young MOT test man tested the brakes and all passed with flying colours I was fairly confident that I would get a pass. The MOT man seemed to take a long time to come out and I began to have doubts that he was going to pass the vehicle. He returned to my amazement with a failure for seven more items , some which had not been found on the original test. I took the paperwork from him not wanting an argument and went home. Later that afternoon I rang the Ford agent in Battle where the MOT had took place and asked him why and if they had retested the whole car again. He said that they had and that if I was unhappy with the test result there was a number on the back of the test sheet to ring and make a complaint. Now I had always thought that an MOT test only tested the things they found wrong the first time as the 10 days that where given to you was so that you had a fair chance of passing. I decided that I was going to ring DVLA and clarify the situation as it seems pretty irregular and to be honest I had already had the feeling that the test person did not want to pass that they would send out an inspector as the MOT failures looked very odd.

Mean while I still did not have an MOT. I decided that I wanted to change the rear brake line fixings as I was not really happy with then and wanted to design a better bracket. I had tried to modify the existing brackets but was not happy with the result . I cut the brackets from 5mm stainless steel and the holes where drilled as 11mm and 14mm. The bracket was 75mm x 24mm on the longest side and 24mm x35mm on the other. I cut small slots into the largest hole to act as a locater to stop the hose from spinning ithe car. I tried to make it not give any contact to any of the other pipework on the rear of the car.

I would have to find another garage to MOT the buggy as I would not be using this garage again it is very sad that I had to make my mind up with that as previously I had had a good releationship with the gentleman who owned the business. I hope that VOSA are able to put his business back on track and that he will able to say that his business is better for this not worse as I hate to see a business fail in these economic conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment