Search This Blog

A solution, or an impossible task

9th July 2005.

Whilst creating my eBay post on turbolister I was searching for a suitable category in which to advertise my Beach Buggy Chassis, I came across item number: 4561230995, this was listed as a project beach buggy kit car and was located in Basingstoke. It had started at £50.00 and was soon up to £200.00 and had 5 bids. It was just the tub, roll bar and front bumper. The seats the wheel rims and other items where unusable.

The front looked amazingly like an American car the Corvette. I fell for its looks immediately. The only problem was a severe lack of time, 3 1/2 months before my family moved and if i took this leap of faith then I would have to have the whole thing rolling/running by the 26th October 2005. On top of this I had to win the auction something as of late I had not had much luck with.

During the course of the last 20 years I had tried twice unsuccessfully to purchase the GP Beach Buggy body top. The first was faltered as when I approached GP the company had been sold. The second time 29 June 1999 a gentleman called Adrian House in Aldershot had purchased the moulds and was able to supply the parts I sent him a cheque in the post with a list of items that I required and the letter and cheque went missing in the post. By the time I had allowed for postal times, stopped the check and contacted Adrian. The company was in trouble again and I believe he no longer had the moulds. My GP Beach Buggy had passed me by, however a new dream a corvette look a like beach buggy was sparkling on the horizon.

Bidding on ebay is a art form so my friends told me you have to sit and watch the auction until as near as the end you humanly dare and have another window set up with your bid ready to go at the press of a button. This is ok until its something that really matters. I had decided that I was going to give it a shot. I new I could afford to work for 5 months on the project and if I had not made enough progress the project could still could be sold. There was a glimmer of hope and the anticipation was immense as I watched with Catherine the time tick by and the auction remain at £200.00. As the auction reached its end time the bids slowly started to rise and each time I stood cool and waited 20s from the auction end at 10:33pm the race was on, amazingly even though I thought I had lost the auction I had won it by 1p.

Cash in place I need to find a way of transporting this from Basingstoke to Kent. Would I be able to get the item moved and would every thing fit in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment