Search This Blog

Fitting the buggy Dash

15th May 2011

With the chassis and body work now bolted up I was able to start thinking about the dashboard and steering assemble. I had previously mocked up the steering and dashboard before paint in an attempt to keep the paint work pristine. I'm going to revisit this so as to explain how the dashboard and steering assembly work together.

The new body height of 80mm above its original position meant that the dashboard and steering column met each other in a totally different position. I new this meant I would have to build a bracket off of the dash to connect the two and provide a secure bolting position. Luckily I had previously re-welded my bracket for my steering column on the other side of the tubing as my previous mount on the buggy for the steering column meant that this was already welded.

The hole in the body work of the buggy had also had to be altered and surprisingly was not just 80mm higher on the body. I can only surmise that this original hole was not exactly in line with the steering box and this was why it was out. I cut a new hole in line with the steering box providing a good angle for the steering column. This was achieved by placing a seat in the car and holding the wheel in a comfortable placement. This surprisingly coincided with a straight angle from the steering box. With the hole marked and cut the steering column could be passed through the bulk head and the bracket pushed up on to the dash frame which I had bolted onto the body. It could then be cramped in position with G cramps to the dash frame so that it could be welded .

The picture right shows the bracket welded onto the dash frame. The original whole on the dashboard has been filled and a new semicircle has been cut into the bottom of the dashboard. The dashboard whole filled and the dashboard painted to match the body work. The dashboard dials where then fitted to the dash along with the lights and instrumentation.

The dashboard was then bolted into the body work after the buggy's move to a new garage. The dashboard was bolted into the body work and the steering column and controls where all connected. The wiring harness was brought up to the dashboard and laid down ready to be reconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment