Search This Blog

Rewiring the buggy

18th May 2011
With the dash board mounting I knew I would have to start unraveling the mess that had once been my wiring loom. It was also apparent that new steering column position meant that my fuse box would have to be relocated to a new position. I spend some time trying to unravel the wiring and make it less like spaghetti junction. At this point I made a huge decision that I would disconnect the fuse box and untangle the wires running to the box. This i new would mean that I was certainly going to have to rewire the car and re route the cables.I decided that the best mounting position for the fuse box was on the steering column. I bent the brackets holding on the fuse box so that they could go under jubilee clips that could be tightened onto the tube. The picture right shows the fuse box with most of the connections disconnected . I started running the wiring up to the dash for lights and service wires . I Then decided that I needed to wire the car in a methodical method this meant that I would get certain functions up and running first and concentrate on just that item till it was fully functional. I found this mad the whole process less daunting. This was a slow process following a good color wiring diagram on the http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring website. Gradually the wiring started to go in with the side lights head lights and indicators all being wired up . I was able to tidy all the wiring and get what I thought was all the cars services running.

No comments:

Post a Comment