Search This Blog

Converting my Buggy Bumper or A-Frame use

18th June 2011.

I had previously bought myself an A frame so that I could tow my Buggy some time ago only realizing that it would not fit with existing bumper as it went right to the edges of the beam clamping in exactly the same location as the A-Frame needed to fit. With the beach buggy coming along nicely and the need for a new MOT looming I decided it was time to remedy this problem as I needed a location for my front number plate.

My existing bar was some 3 ft wide and exactly fitted inside the beam with bolts holding on a rear bracket to the beam. Clearly this fitting was not going to work and looking across the beam there was not much option or placements that the bumper could fit onto. The only possible location seemed to be the beam mounts and these were way to narrow. I took some photographs of the beam and tried narrowing it digitally to see how it would look if it was narrowed enough to bolt onto the beam mounts. This didn't seem to look to bad and looked a little like a four by four bumper. Fortunately the loops on the side of the original bumper gave the reduced width version more width. I cut the bumper in half and re-welded it up with an inch bar inside it for strength. This I then made bolt on to the top beam mount and go over the lower Allan Cap bolt the idea being that the bumper could be removed without dismantling the whole beam. This seemed to fit very well and with the lights refitted to the bumper the difference didn't seem that noticeable but the car could now be successfully A-Framed as the mounting points where totally clear. I was not prepared to wire up the lights at the moment as I had not decided the best wiring from them whether it be with the main lights or separately. I felt a seperate switch and feed was the best solution but was unsure if i needed a relay. The next job was going to be fitting a new square number plate onto the front bumper and sorting out some problems with the engine running.

No comments:

Post a Comment