Search This Blog

Fixing the tank bonnet and windcreen

7th June 2011.

I new my petrol gauge had been seriously out and decided that it was about time that this was sorted. I started looking into the mechanism that I had purchased from Just Kanpers some time before. Fortunately I had the opportunity with the tank removed to measure the tanks internal depth from this sender and found that it was 19cm from the opening of the sender. My sender seemed to be completely the wrong length for this and ended up with the post 100mm down and a 90mm long arm to the float. I also realized whilst doing this that my return petrol feed was not sub merged and put a 10mm copper compression joint onto it sending the return petrol to the bottom of the tank. I decided I would also place some of the wiring in for the injection engine I was trying to build. With the tank issues resolved it was bolted into the body work. ready for the bonnet and dash to be fitted. The bonnet now painted sat much higher than it did before the supports where fitted I had to increase the length of the fuel hose to the tank refill opening to allow it to fit. I was then helped by a friend John to fit the bonnet and windscreen to the buggy as I did not want to do this on my own and scratch my new paintwork.

I had found a soft top for a beetle on Ebay and was hoping that I could get it to fit the buggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment