Search This Blog

Facet Pump and Regulator problems

29th June 2011

With my engine refitted to my buggy I was getting close to MOT time.

My first problem I noticed was that the FUEL pressure was two high and I needed a regulator to bring this pressure down to the 3.5psi that my carburetors would run on. This should have been a straight forward exercise but to be honest took a lot longer to acquire than I thought. My first purchase did not turn up and the seller refunded my payment the second pump turned up and it was a high pressure Malpasso pump that would not provide a low enough flow rate. I decided to keep this as I felt my 2L engine I had in bits would benefit from this. Finally I decided to buy a new regulator from VW Heritage as i felt this was the only way that I would solve this issue. I kicked my self as I sold my last regulator and vowed not to sell this one. With the regulator fitted my engine ran up and ticked over quite well if a bit rough. I decided to get some more fuel and return to adjust the clutch which was a little high . I tried restarting the car after this and the fuel pump would not run!

Having decided that the mechanical pump baker lite bearing was not going near my car again after fishing bits out of my case twice I had fitted an electric pump a Facet POSI-FLO EFP-3 I name and shame it here as it failed even before the car made it on the road. I cannot believe the reliability of this pump and have now had to purchase a new pump which again with some trepidation is a Facet also. The Facet Silver top pump is made out of metal and seems to relieve better reliability reports in message areas on the Internet . I only wish I had researched this first pump choice better. I hoped it would be more reliable.

I was hoping the new pump would turn up in a few days. I also have been told that this pump needs to be mounted vertically with the filter at the bottom as this is the manufactures suggestion. S next time I will be making a stainless bracket to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment