Search This Blog

Dropped inlet valve spring on no. 2 cylinder

20th July 2011
My engine had been running a little rough and I tried everything I would do normally to get it to run better. I decided that I would have to set down and work methodically to find the problem . I started the Valve timing first steps as detailed already on my blog here, you can find it or many other problems by using the search bar at the top of this page.

It was immediately noticeable that the inlet spring in No2 Cylinder had sheared in half and the spring was held in place in the head. This was a nightmare as I was due to travel with the car on Friday. I knew this was a routine job and had to buy new parts and have them delivered and fitted in two days.

The unfortunate problem of using second hand heads as you can not foresee this type of problem occuring as it is always possible the parts are not as strong as they should be. As everything else was new on the engine this was the weakest part and as such is probably why it failed.

I ordered a new valve compression tool and a couple of valve springs and collets that would come the next day. I did not know if my Valve, piston or cylinder were damaged.

This would really be a test of my skills and covering new ground on this blog I would have to replace a valve spring. Bug Jam was looking like it was evaporating as my chances of going were looking slimmer every minute.

I started in the afternoon to take the engine down starting with the exhaust comming off first on both sides and then the carburetors an linkage. This allowed the screws for the tin wear and fan housing to be undone. With the engine in the car there is no way to remove the fan housing unless the oil filter is undone so i lifted up one side to allow the engine head tine wear to be taken off the one and two cylinders. This then gave access to the cylinder head. The eight bolts were then undone and the head could be pulled off. The top of the piston was ok and the spring damage was now very visable.

No comments:

Post a Comment