Search This Blog

Fitting Spot Lights

11th July 2011

I had purchased some Spot lights on Ebay that where listed as stainless spots only to find that when they arrived they had been listed incorrectly and where chrome plate . I was a little annoyed at this but felt as I had paid such a low price I would not benefit from returning them to the seller and decided to fit them.

The lights came with earth wiring so I was able to run a short 27amp wire from the earth point for the headlights that both lights could share. I placed two switches in the dash so that the spot lights could be turned off saving the battery I bought these from a small company called "Car Crazy" these fitted through a 10mm hole. I was very pleased that matched the VDO gauges quite well.

I had researched the wiring and felt that I would be best to wire the lamps up with a relay. This would also mean that I could easily rewire them to come on with the main beam only by swapping one wire. I ran a feed from the fuse box to the switch and a earth from my earthing block to the switch. I then needed to get some of the 6mm female spade connectors with a hook on them. I found these on Ebay and was able to solder wires onto them I new I needed short 27 amp wire from the fuse box to the relay and one 27amp wire to run to the lights . I used 8am wire to provide a earth to the relay coil and my switch output was wired to the other side of the coil. These spade connectors where then connected onto the relay on their respective pin position. This enabled me to then take a wire off at a time note its position and push it in to the fuse box. When all four wires had been pushed in the relay could be put in position. I then ran the main feed wire from the relay down the front of the car alongside the wiring for the headlights . I decided to place a connector here so the the lights could be removed. I wired up the lights to these two connectors so that I could try them out . They functioned well with the switch. I decided to then change the wiring the main power feed to the switch instead of powering it from the fuse box bower fuse two I moved it on to the high beam fuse position . This meant the spot lights would only come on with high beam.

My M.O.T was booked for the coming tomorrow I was anxious to know what this would find.

No comments:

Post a Comment